Benchmarking for Commercial and Multi-Family Buildings on O'ahu

Hawaiʻi Gas is committed to supporting Honolulu City Council Ordinance 22-17, also known as Better Buildings Benchmarking, which was signed into law by Mayor Rick Blangiardi in July 2022. The program will require all large commercial and multi-family buildings to benchmark and report their energy and water usage annually. Buildings 100,000 square feet or larger were the first covered properties to report by June 30, 2023.  Buildings 50,000 square feet or larger must report by June 30, 2024, and buildings 25,000 square feet or larger by June 30, 2025.

To comply, your building’s detailed property information and a year’s worth of the previous year’s calendar data for electric, gas, and water usage, must be submitted on the free EPA ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager (ESPM) account. For more information regarding the program requirements, go to the City's website.

Better Buildings Benchmarking is the process of measuring a building's consumption of energy and water over time. Regular benchmarking allows building owners and tenants to understand their building's energy and water use and identify opportunities to cut waste and save money.

Upon request, Hawaiʻi Gas will provide building owners of Covered Properties on Oʻahu with aggregated whole-building energy consumption data so that they can, in turn, report their gas usage.

How to request gas usage data from Hawaiʻi Gas

To receive gas consumption data, you must be an authorized party on the Hawaiʻi Gas account (pleases see below for a description of an authorized party or how to become an authorized party). To request gas consumption data, please email the following information to Hawaiʻi Gas at

• First Name / LastName
• Email
• Phone
• City Building ID(s)
• Building / Property Name
• Building / Property Name Address, Address2, City, State, Zip
• Gas Account Number(s)
• Gas Account Name(s)

A Hawaiʻi Gas customer service representative will respond to you within 3-5 business days.

Who is a Hawaiʻi Gas Authorized Party?

A Hawaiʻi Gas authorized party is someone whom the account holder has permitted us to speak with Hawaiʻi Gas regarding their account. Authorized parties can be anyone the account holder designates and would have the authority to request information regarding billing, schedule appointments or repairs, authorize other parties on the account, or close the account should services no longer be required.

Account holders must specifically designate authorized parties. We value our customers’ privacy and security and follow  Hawaʻi Gas' privacy policy for our customers’ protection. Even if you are the account holder’s spouse or the property owner, we cannot speak to you regarding the account without the account holder’s permission.

How can I authorize someone on my account?

Please submit a letter (preferably on letterhead) listing the people that you would like us to be able to speak to regarding your account. If the account is a business, the letter must be signed by the owner, authorized agent, or officer of the business registered with the Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs (“DCCA”). Please also include a contact phone number.
Receive the Good Energy Connections Newsletter